10 Things I like about Holmes Beach on Anna Maria Island
Anna Maria Island is our special place for vacationing on the beach while I am in Florida. These are our top 10 reasons why we like vacationing at Holmes Beach on Anna Maria Island.
1. The Beaches. The sand is soft and white on Anna Maria Island. The beaches are kept cleaned of any naturally occuring debris on a regular basis by the city. The beaches are usually under populated by tourists, even on weekends and holidays.
2. The Ocean- the restless tides change the placement of sand bars under the water, but swimming in the ocean along Holmes Beach on Anna Maria Island means nice shallow areas that extend far into the ocean, especially during low tides. On days when the surf is high, you will see small groups of short boarders, out in the waves perfecting their skills.
3. Waterfront Dining- We personally love outdoor waterfront dining and there are plenty of options on Anna Maria Island: Our favorites are: The Sandbar, Rod & Reel Restaurant, The Waterfront, The City Pier, Beach Bistro, and the Beach Cafe.
4. Variety of Cuisines -You can find just about any type of food you would like within a few blocks of the beach. These restaurants include but are not limited to: Eat Here, Hurricane Hanks, Island Gourmet Grill, Mr Bones, Tortilla Bay, Duffy's Tavern, Feeling Swell, Ginny & Jane E's, and Sign of the Mermaid.
5. Accommodations - We prefer Old Florida style family resorts for extended stays. They offer all the amenities we want, with the laid-back style we need, so we can relax. These old florida style of resorts are becoming harder and harder to find, but two that we can recommend on Holmes Beach are White Sand Beach Resort, and Tropical Breeze Beach Club. Both offer full sized kitchens, and comfortable living for extended stays.
6. Walking Distance - Dining on the beachfront when staying Holmes Beach could not get much easier. When we stay at White Sands on Holmes Beach- we can walk along the beach south to the Beach Cafe for breakfast, At lunchtime we can walk north to the Sandbar Restaurant. For a fabulous dinner experience, the award winning Beach Bistro is just steps away, and best of all, we can eat our dinner while the sun sets. Don't feel like walking back? Simply hop on the trolley for a pleasent evening ride home!
7. Free Trolley - the Gulf Coast Trolley runs up and down the coast all day long. It's air conditioned, and there are plenty of pick-up points all across the island. The trolley on Anna Maria also provides a connection to the Long Boast Key Trolley (at Coquina Beach), and for $1.25 you can ride all the way to Sarasota.
8. The Island is Remote - You don't casually find your way onto Anna Maria Island, you arrive there because it is your final destination. The Island is quiet, and casual. Plenty of island shops means visitors may never need to leave the island. The island consists of mainly 1 & 2 story buildings, and can be easily navigated from end to end by bicycle or trolley ride.
9. Attractions - There is a museum, theater, art gallery, beach rental and fishing charter services available. You can get a guided tour on land from Zegway By The Bay, or a guided tour by water from Almost Heaven Kayak Tours. Beach Bums Rentals located on the island that will provide you with the all the little extras you will need, such as kayak, bicycle or golf cart rental. Anna Maria Island's Fun and More Rentals has also partnered with Island Concierge service and MemoriesbyBilli.com. to provide more customized services. Anna Maria Island has 2 newspapers that will update you on any special events that are taking place during your stay. From Bradenton to Sarasota there are so many attractions and events, you can stay entertained literally all year long.
10. The Weather - "Bad" weather never lasts long on the beach. Plus it gives visitors a chance to go indoors for a few hours to do needed shopping or a chance to visit the local attractions. The average temperatures on Anna Maria Island range from a low of 72 in January, to a high of 90 during the "rainy" season in August. It is always cooler along the beach, with a refreshing sea breeze, so most beach tourists do not notice the heat during summer.